Technical Director – 3 shows – Theatre of Western Springs
The Theatre of Western Springs (TWS) seeks a Technical Director with strong set design, CAD, and paint skills to provide technical direction and set design advisement for the first three productions of our season. We welcome applications for one, two or all three of these productions. There is pay. We are beginning a search for a full-time TD as well.
TWS is an 88 year old community theatre in Western Springs, Illinois. The theatre is a 20 minute drive from Chicago and a quick 5 minute walk from the Western Springs Metra train stop. Our mainstage is a wide thrust which seats 404 and our Cattell Theatre is a flexible black-box which seats 120.
- Nunsense by Dan Goggin (Mainstage Theatre).
- Pre-production begins on/around July 8; build begins August 7, tech week begins August 29; production opens September 7. Fee is $1,200 (negotiable).
- Stage Kiss by Sarah Ruhl (Cattell Theatre).
- Pre-production begins on/around July 29; build begins August 28; tech week begins September 19; production opens September 28. Fee is $1,400 (negotiable).
- Miss Holmes by Christopher Walsh (Mainstage Theatre).
- Pre-production begins on/around August 19; build begins September 18, tech week begins September 19, production opens October 19. Fee is $1,400 (negotiable).
Responsibilities and duties include:
- Reading and analyzing scripts
- Meeting with volunteer designer to advise and guide set design
- Meeting with director and production team
- Producing all necessary drawings and elevations (CAD)
- Ordering lumber and other materials
- Scheduling and supervising volunteer crews for build
- Buying and/or mixing all paint, developing paint treatments, producing paint samples and teaching treatments to volunteer crews
- Attending tech rehearsals to finish, adjust and repair
- Being available as needed during the run for repairs (with volunteer annual construction chair)
- Attending and supervising strike
To apply, please send your design portfolio, cover letter, resume and two references to EAD@theatrewesternsprings.com.